If lockdown has given us anything, it’s a newfound appreciation of sourdough and cycling! Whilst they’re increasingly hard to come by on the high street, many of us have bought a new bike or dusted off the one found at the back of the shed, that we promised we’d ride everyday when just bought.
Roads are still a little quieter than usual, so now is a great time to join the cycling resurgence and be out on a bike. Encouraging more people to cycle will be an important part of keeping numbers on public transport to a minimum going forward, and help us to keep fit after the inevitable lockdown overeating (just us)? With the promise of loads of new cycle lanes to get us round the city, there’s no excuse!
To help you get the wheels in motion, we’ve rounded up some of our favourite bike shops in London. As always, if we’ve missed any of your favourites, please let us know in the comments below!
- Pedal Back Cycling – Based in Fulham, pedal back is an independent bike shop and cafe. In store, they create a warm, welcoming hub to get your bike fixed whilst enjoying a coffee or craft beer. They have everything from funky accessories to sound bike advice. They’re still closed right now, but have mobilised to sell ex-display bikes with delivery across London. To check them out, visit the website! https://www.pedalbackcycling.com
- The Hackney Peddler – Specialising in custom, classic and restored steel bikes, the shop is currently open Monday – Saturday! Pop in to see their complete bikes – from affordable runarounds that won’t let you down to beautiful vintage classics that’ll turn heads wherever you go, in a range of sizes. If you’re looking for a special custom build, they’ve got a selection of British, Italian and other European frames and offer a comprehensive range of servicing and repairs in the workshop. 24-hour turnarounds and small jobs sorted while you wait- pedal on down! http://www.thehackneypeddler.co.uk
- Pedal Pedlar – Found in Islington, Pedal Pedlar specialise in amazing vintage bikes! Their shop is currently still closed, but their online shop is working to deliver. Their aim is to keep beautiful bikes from the golden era of cycling in circulation, whether it’s a 1950s steel track bike or a 1990s bonded carbon racer. They also try to keep bikes in their original condition. If you’re after something more personal, they do a custom build service, where you can choose your dream frame and they can build it up with parts of your choice! Visit their website here: https://www.pedalpedlar.co.uk
- Druid Cycles – A hidden gem of Bermondsey, druid cycles is a bicycle workshop south of Tower Bridge. Hidden in the arches, it’s a not-for-profit organisation and professional cycle repair shop that recycles and builds custom vintage bikes. Perfect for those breakdowns by the river!
- About The Bike -A local bike shop in Dalston for all your cycling needs. New and second-hand bikes available https://www.aboutthebike.co.uk/
- Brixton Cycles – Brixton Cycles was established as a workers co-operative in 1983, and remains a community focused bike shop. They provide a free to use pump and tool board, and put people before profit. As a workers co-operative, they try to support other co-ops whenever possible. They’re also eco-focused, and proud of their eco friendly parts washer and even their unbleached, recycled toilet paper! They’re still offering 10% off for all NHS workers. Check out their insta for their latest developments, and website for enquiries and merch! https://www.brixtoncycles.co.uk
- Harbour Cycles – Recently reopened, Harbour Cycles is a small community based bike shop offering bike servicing, accessories and bike sales of refurbished bikes since 2014. They strive to provide durable, good quality bicycles sound knowledge at the right price. They’re great in a crisis- aiming to have the work done on the same day or by the following day stock permitting. They pick up and deliver your bike if your schedule is full (call 0207 274 5008 to arrange). Visit their website here: https://www.harbourcycles.co.uk
- Pearson Cycles – officially recognised as the world’s oldest bike shop in Surrey, Pearson’s is a local bike shop with 150+ years of experience. They have everything from bikes and scooters to clothes and accessories! Visit their website for more details: https://pearsonsutton.co.uk
- Brick Lane Bikes Found in Shoreditch, this bike shop specialises in vintage and custom built bikes – and are still open! Web orders are going through as usual too. They pride themselves on being the urban bike specialists in the heart of London. Similarly, they also stock everything from full bikes to apparel and components – no job too big or small. They also have a great range of second hand bikes. Visit the site to see what all the fuss is about! https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk
- Temple Cycles – with shops in both Bristol and London, Temple Cycles is a small, independent bicycle company, run by a team of dedicated and passionate cyclists.Their mission is to ‘produce fantastic bikes, create jobs in the bicycle industry and work with local enterprises’. Their founder, Matt, has been a lifelong cyclist. While studying Mechanical Engineering at the University of Bristol, he set up a small business restoring classic road bikes. He then started designing his own custom frames, which evolved into Temple Cycles. Visit their website https://www.templecycles.co.uk) to browse their bikes- they ship internationally and current lead time is approx 12 weeks.
As always, drop your recommendations in the comments down below.
Thanks to everyone who sent in more recommendations on our Instagram page. We’ve listed them below.
- @muswellhillbikes – Muswell Hill, N10 – https://www.muswellhillbikes.co.uk
- @Balfes_Bikes – Dulwich, Streatham, Reigate and Fulham – https://www.balfesbikes.co.uk/
- @moosecyles – Colliers Wood – https://www.moosecycles.com/
- E1 Cycles – Commercial St – https://www.facebook.com/e1cycles/
- @ascycles – Lower Clapton – https://ascycles.business.site
- The London Bicycle Workshop – Clerkenwell Road – https://www.londonbicycleworkshop.com/
- @bikefixlondon – Specialise in selling and repairing bespoke and new bikes. Since COVID-19, they’ve kept their workshop open with strict distancing rules in place to still get your bike back up and cycling. They’re not currently selling any bikes. Visit their website to book a slot and bring your bike in www.bikefix.co.uk